Fulbright Program | Ankara, Turkey | 2011-2012
- Conducted independent research on liberalism and tolerance in Turkish politics.
University of Arizona | Tucson, Arizona | 2006-2011
- B.A. summa cum laude with Honors, Economics & International Studies. May 2011.
- Honors Thesis: “Conspiracism in Turkish Politics”
- GPA in Economics: 4.0. GPA in International Studies: 4.0. Overall: 3.9.
- Selected coursework: Econometrics, Economics of Strategy, Public Sector Economics, Development Economics, International Political Economy, Turkish
Bogazici University | Istanbul, Turkey | Summer 2010, Spring 2009
- Attended intensive summer language program and semester abroad.
- Focused on Turkish language, political economy, and history of Turkey.
Middle East Technical University | Ankara, Turkey | Fall 2008
- Focused on Turkish language, Turkish foreign policy, and European integration.
Koch Summer Fellow Program | Washington, DC | Summer 2008
- Attended a weeklong seminar on market-based public policy analysis.
- Completed and presented a research project on U.S. arms control policy.
Globalization, Technology & Development seminar, Institute for Humane Studies | San Jose, CA | Summer 2007
- Participated in lectures and seminars on liberty and prosperity in the global economy
- Researched, presented and won first place for a group project on trust structures in Internet commerce.
Flinn Scholars Central Europe seminar, Institute for International Education | Budapest, Hungary | Summer 2007
- Traveled extensively in Hungary and Romania
- Attended daily lectures by scholars and policymakers on the culture, politics, and history of Central Europe
- Arizona Desert Lamp, Blogger & co-founder | Fall 2008 - Spring 2011
First place, America’s Future Foundation College Blogger award
Technology Policy Institute, Research intern | Washington, DC | Summer 2008
- Conducted research on the information economy, including health IT, broadband coverage in West Africa, H-1B visa policy, and self-regulatory organizations.
Arizona Daily Wildcat, Opinions Editor | Tucson, Arizona | Fall 2007-Spring 2008
- First place, editorial writing, Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence award
Daily Wildcat award for distinguished editorial writing
- Recruited, hired, and managed a staff of 16 daily columnists. Led weekly editorial board meetings.
- Wrote 108 articles on deadline, including daily editorials and weekly columns.
- Revised and edited articles for content and style.
Tucson Parks & Recreation, Water Safety Instructor | Tucson, Arizona | 2004-2007
- Taught daily swimming and water safety lessons to 3-12 year olds. Enforced rules and responded to emergencies.
- Advanced Turkish, elementary Kurmanji Kurdish.
- Python: Django, Bottle, Google App Engine.
- Basic regression analysis with STATA and R.
Activities, Scholarships, & Awards
- Outstanding Senior, UA College of Letters, Arts, and Sciences
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Pillars of Excellence Award, University of Arizona
- Department of Education FLAS Fellow
- National Security Education Program Boren Scholar
- Flinn Foundation Scholar
- Student Preceptor, Honors Near & Middle East Colloquium
- International Studies Student Association, UA Economics Society